Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Sugar cane, Cana de azucar



I am cuban, born there in a little town, near a sugar factory where everybody knew each other.
We would watch boring black and white Russian tv and dream of a better life in the future. Sometimes there was no water or electricity and the roof leaked in the bathroom. There were many children next to us to forget all about that while we played. We played until the sun went down, not caring about food, etc. We would play without supervision , it would have ruined our fun.

Do not think my house's leaking roof was due to it being an old building,no, it was a new apartment rented as a privilege to my father because of his job in the sugar industry.
There were several times a year when the sugar factory was operating and women would put their sheets on the line and it would be covered in particles of black smoke from the sugar factory. The good smoke was the white one.

I remember we would walk into the cane fields and walk back with a sugar rush, our faces dirty because of the sticky juice but very happy, as when you let loose and eat a mango under a tree while the juice runs through your hands.

2 comments:

  1. Yudian I am so impressed with your writing skills. Your understanding of the written word in english is wonderful. I hope you keep writing in this style - so warm and natural and very readable. I remembered the mangoes Tony and I used to eat under the tree.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi Gemma, Im happy my stories bring back some memories to you. Tony helps me with some editing.

    ReplyDelete