Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Pork, carne de puerco.

Roast suckling pig in Cuba

Asian pork belly

We Cubans crave for pork. It is part of our most traditional food: rice and beans, pork and tapioca (yuca) with mojo sauce. This is our dish for New Year’s Eve meal.


The tradition was that every family would keep a live pig until that day, up to the time of the animal’s sacrifice was due. So the day started with the animal’s screams, something that for animal lovers was horrible to hear, a bottle of rum would be at the scene of the crime.
I would be so upset about the killing that I did not want to know about eating meat in my childhood. I think my brother felt the same.

But times have changed since then and growing teenagers need protein, so I changed my mind about the meat, so pork now is my favourite food.

Here in Australia I do enjoy pork belly. This recipe is the one I prefer, it is my Australian version of the cuban feast. I could call it pork heaven, it is done in a crock pot, so it is really easy. It is great if you have visitors coming for supper as the house will be submerged in the spice’s aroma.

"Asian pork belly"



1kg pork belly
½ cup Chinese cooking wine
1/4 cup dark soy sauce
1 tablespoon tamarind concentrate
2 tablespoons honey
½ teaspoon sesame oil
4 cm piece fresh ginger chopped finely
3 cloves garlic, crushed
2 teaspoon five-spice powder
1 star anise
1 dried long red chili
1 teaspoon Sichuan pepper
3 cups water



*Combine ingredients in a large bowl, add pork, cover and refrigerate for 3 hours or overnight.
*Put the pork and marinade into the crockpot to cook for 6 hours.
* Serve pork with an avocado and coriander salad.

2 comments:

  1. I have our slow cooker on at the moment, but it has lamb in it instead of pork. I am keen to try your recipe but it uses a lot of ingredients I don't have in my pantry. When we get back from America I will stock up and try your recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. trish, I did lamb today with the similar ingredients, so when you stock up you can do not just pork.

    ReplyDelete