Monday, April 26, 2010

Coffee, café.



About coffee, oh God! Cubans are crazy, locos, about this beverage, they are like the addict that gets a headache if they can not drink it in the morning. Cubans think they are the connoisseurs of many things, especially coffee.

I remember my mother sent me to buy some beans and bring them back for her to inspect their quality, only she knew what she wanted.
Babies have their bottle with coffee added, some may say they need flavour, any excuse will do. I think we turned out to be ok. I hope. I would not drink my bottle until it had coffee, sugar, salt and milk, all in the right proportion

When somebody comes to visit your home, you put the cafetera ( coffee machine) on the stove. The truth is they do not have much else to offer the visitor. That said, they have great pride in their coffee, some like it very sweet, too sweet for my taste now.

For the last two years I have been enjoying a brand of coffee from Cuba, at times it is difficult to acquire and that is why I may have to try other varieties that Cubans love in Miami, Florida. Sometimes I have found very good ones here in Australia.
We call it espresso, but it is not the strong bitter short black coffee some may imagine. The first time I asked for a short black in Darwin NT, the girl on the shop asked me how could I drink something so strong. : )

Flavored coffee is not real coffee for me, it has become a very popular thing nowadays. It is like comparing chocolate and candy, you are reducing the quality, making it cheaper. Yes I am old fashioned about my cup of coffee, I don’t want any of those fancy flavour inventions in my cup, I want coffee coming from the plant and that is it.

No comments:

Post a Comment