Wednesday, April 21, 2010

corn, maiz, los tamales de olga...

Country cubans dry their coffee and corn on the public road.

I must be on my creative side this week, oh! I know, it is because of the beautiful days we are having before winter.
I was reading a Cuban blog from a family in California (My big fat Cuban family) and I got some inspiration.
I have a passion for good food, (well, Cubans are passionate about everything) : )
Baseball, coffee, pork, politics, rum, the list goes on. Of course I love Cuban food too, I must say it is rather challenging to enjoy Cuban food in Australia, you must cook it yourself and find variations to the real recipe, for example tamales, Australian corn is super sweet, as sweet as sugar, that is something that is not good for tamal, so you have to get creative.

After many failures I tried a Nigella Lawson recipe with corn and this one made me happy, it was easy, quick, and the ingredients of this recipe are normally in your pantry.
This recipe is from the book “Nigella Christmas”

The recipe is called spoon bread
¾ stick (6 tablespoons) soft butter
3 cups drained canned corn
4 scallions roughly chopped
1 1/4cups grated sharp cheddar cheese
4 eggs
2 cups yellow cornmeal
2 tsp baking powder
4 cups whole milk

* Preheat the oven to 425 F. Grease your ovenproof pan, melt ¾ stick butter in a saucepan over a low heat.
* Put the corn, scallions and cheddar into a food processor with the eggs
* Process to shop the vegetables and cheese, then add cornmeal and baking powder.
* Process until the mixture becomes paste like, then, with the motor running, add the milk and melted butter.
* Pour into the greased pan and bake for 1 hour until just set.
* Remove the spoon bread from the oven and let it stand for 10 minutes -it will continue cooking as it stands –before taking to table.

No comments:

Post a Comment