Friday, June 25, 2010

Coffee, rice and beans / Café, arroz y frijoles

Country side.
Flamboyan tree in Cuba.



I must say I have never seen in Cuba such an abundance of fruit as I saw on my last trip.
There were plenty of pineapples, a fruit that I would see rarely during my childhood. I think it could be due to recent government measures to increase food supplies by loosening tight controls over food distribution.Such laws have made it easier for farmers to produce fruit.

At the same time it was challenging to buy rice or beans, the most important nutrients in Cubans diet. In the last few months they have become scarce and expensive.

It felt like a punch to my stomach to know that my grandmother didn't have supplies of rice and beans because the decrease in the availability happened very fast.
Luckily we had some rice in our car for her.

My favorite Cuban coffee (Serrano) is no longer available in the Cuban shops, so this time I bought a different coffee in USA, Bustelo Cafe, a favorite of Cuban immigrants.

Later I read in the news that Cuban coffee production has decreased by 90 % and Cuba is now actually importing coffee and sugar. For several decades Cuba was a major exporter of sugar and coffee.

No comments:

Post a Comment