Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Mamey milkshake./ Batido de Mamey.



 Mamey fruit





                                                      
                             Mamey milkshake./ Batido de Mamey




I have not been back to my country of origin, Cuba, for a while now; but today I made a mamey milkshake (batido de mamey) and it felt like I went to Cuba and cameback. It is just the flavour that traditionally we feel a milkshake must have. It is a taste adored by our grandparents and us.
Many of us now are living in other countries where traditions are different so it is not so easy to access to our Cuban products. I had many years without this drink and the last time I enjoyed it was in Miami, Florida, in a place called “El Palacio de los Jugos” a site as Cuban as any other in Cuba, and my wish was to find the fruit in Australia.  
A friend purchased the mamey for me in Queensland and it was fantastic. The flavour is a combination of vanilla, peach, pawpaw. I made a milkshake with 80 g of frozen fruit, 1 cup of milk, 1 tsp of honey and ice cubes.

1 comment:

  1. See - you can enjoy the good things about Cuba even when you are not there! Hope you can keep getting the mamey fruit!

    ReplyDelete