Monday, July 26, 2010

Custard-apple / chirimoya o anon.


Custard-apple fruit ( chirimoya)

This month is custard-apple season in Australia, as I see the fruit in every market. I was pleasantly surprised the first time I saw it here. Some locals do not know the fruit.

It is a fruit that brings to me memories of children in Cuba throwing stones at the tree in order to get the fruit down or asking the adults if it is ripe and counting days for it to be ripened. Most of the time we could not wait that long, the same story happens with mangos.

I like the custard-apple to give its gentle flavour to a milkshake. You must take the ebony seeds out before mixing its pulp with a cup of full cream milk, a tablespoon of condensed milk and some ice in the fruit blender; the result is a pale, creamy drink with a flavour that reminds me of vanilla and makes the effort of taking the seeds out rewarding.

3 comments:

  1. I've never tried that drink but it sounds right up my alley.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have always seen custard apples at the shop but have never known what to do with them - I think we might be having some milkshakes this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had the best custard apple yesterday, so sweet. I advise to use a food procesor to gently shake the seeds .enjoy!

    ReplyDelete